What is Home Distiller?
HomeDistiller.org is the largest Online Resource for Distillers. This site contains detailed information regarding the creation of distilled spirits for beginners to advanced distillers. The information contained here is the distilled (pardon the pun) information contained in our forums. To ask specific questions or to do more research, check out the Home Distiller Forums.
- Beginner's Guide to Making Distilled Spirits: This should be your first read to start your journey.
- Know the Legality of distillation in your area. Remember folks: Don't Tell, Don't Sell
- Safety first! Distillation requires responsibility
- Start reading the The Rules We Live By, Introduction to Distilling and New Distiller's FAQ
- What is: Whiskey - Rum - Brandy - Vodka - Gin - Cordials and Liqueurs - Other Spirit types
- If you are planing on making whiskeys please read this book: How to Brew By John Palmer
- Find basic outlines on how to produce common spirits in our Spirit Style Guide
- Start Planning your first Run, buy some Collection Jars and make your Flour Seals
- Get to know your Cuts and Learn How to Blend
- Now you can still, make it your own: Developing a Flavor Profile with Grain Flavor Profiles and Woods for aging
- Books and Publications - Tables - Charts - Troubleshooting Guide
Washes, Mashing and Fermentation
Once you've decided what you're going to make here's how to get it started.
- Most good things start with good water
- Wash preparation from grains to starch
- Fermentation of sugar into alcohol by yeast
- You wouldn't want to drink a distillers version of a beer
- Wine is the precursor to brandy and many related spirits
- Need some inspiration, start here: Tried and True Recipes
- All things Mashing related: Category:Mashing
- All things Fermenting related: Category:Fermentation
- All things Yeast related: Category:Yeast
Now that your fermentation is complete the fun part comes next.
- Distillation history and instruction
- Theory and design of Stills
- Understanding Cuts and fractions
- Prepare for your first Stripping run and Spirit run
- Methanol and the denaturing of alcohol
- Commercial uses of ethanol beyond the beverage industry
- All things Distillation related: Category:Distillation
- Making fuel alcohol: Alcohol as Fuel
Maturation, Storage, and Flavoring of Spirits
You're done making your product, next comes worst part, waiting.
- Maturation, storage and Cooperage
- Learn about Woods for aging
- And how Barrels need Toasting and Charring
- Flavoring of spirits and cordials
- Making Gin with Vapor Infusion or Maceration
Drinking & Cocktails
Now the best part, enjoying your product!
Archive of the Previous HD Content
- The old version of HD has been archived as of 8/22/19.
- The PDF Archive of books and other articles is available here: https://homedistiller.org/pdf/